Episode #8~You know all about Annie Sloan Chalk Paint , now get to know Annie Sloan?
In 2012, I was introduced to Annie Sloan Chalk Paint after my husband and I purchased a new home in the Washington, DC area. The house was “showroom” ready, as they say, but the kitchen needed some color on its very strong and well constructed kitchen cabinets. After searching online, I came across Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and almost immediately purchased by paint and was on my way to a new kitchen.
The rest as they say is history…my shop On the Purple Couch was born and became the proud retailer of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint . Five years later I am sitting in Tallahassee, Florida at Sweet South Cottage and Farm interviewing the maker of the paint Annie Sloan, the maker of Chalk Paint.
In this interview, about 28 mins, I wanted to give Annie Sloan fans a sense of who she is and what has motivated her to get to this point in her life and in her business. Listeners will find her open, reflective and thoughtful in her responses to my many open ended questions.
‘I like to think of myself as a women of the world’, says Annie Sloan, as she reflects on her life and her business. Growing up around the world has given her a sense of the world and most importantly what it means to create a home. Home, a large theme in her work, and life both exemplified, in what Chalk Paint allows its user to create…Do you remember the 1st thing you painted with Chalk Paint? A desk, a dresser…what were you trying to create? For me..I wanted to give life and color to my home…
Annie Sloan gives us a view into her life and her upbringing and how the creation of Chalk Paint taps into the concept and desire that we all have of creating home. Whether it is a 1st apartment right out of school or a house that needs a ‘re-do’ after so many years…a few coats of paint can transform a space.
With over 1000+ Annie Sloan stockist around the world, Africa, North America, Asia, Europe and the UK, Annie Sloan has fueled the upcyclyed and DIY movement that we are now living in. While painting furniture might be new to some of us, Annie developed Chalk Paint 26+ years ago while living in the UK with her family in a attempt to help others create and make the houses, home. Scroll down for outtakes and a resource list.
- Home design
- Creating a space
- hard work/work ethic
- independent businesses
- taking control of ones life
- Positive Affirmations
- Fine Art
- Books- Author
Outtakes/’the after party’
- Annie Sloan Chalk Paint learn more about painting your furniture without stripping sanding or priming.
- Oxfam International Learn about Annie’s collaboration with this international charity.
- Video: The Making of ‘Lem Lem’ the color in support of Oxfam and Ethiopia
- Indigo Natural Living , small independent shop in Oxford. Referenced in the interview as Indigo Designs
- Sweet South Cottage : Annie Sloan Stockist in Tallahassee, FL & site of podcast interview & home of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Tallahassee Florida.
- TOAST: independent shop in Oxfam. They make awesome ‘aprons’. Bahia wears hers with jeans & a top around town..
- Ethio-Jazz a little Harlem, NY, a little Fela from Nigeria and then to East Africa Ethiopia
- Ethiopia learn about Ethiopia home of one of the oldest Christian churches, amazing wines, coffees and history.
- Stockist to find someone local where you can get help and purchase Chalk Paint